Saturday, May 26, 2007

my first linux

When chatting with H last week, I wondered where B is up to these days. He should have received his phd by now. So I googled him and found that he's become an assistant prof at NUS.

B installed the first ever linux distribution on my P133 dell during duing my freshman winter break. Redhat didn't even existed then. It was Slackware.
At that time, installing Linux was a non-trivial effort. I'm not sure whether SIPB supported it back then. I remember he had to do something with the fonts to start X.

I named that machine "cliff.mit.edu". I still remember its IP was something like 18.239.*.*. (We got the entire class B in a dorm. )
'cliff' had since accompanied me through all the years at college and grad schools. It had become a server after a few years, and at some point it had uptime more than a year.

The P133, 128MB (?), ~4GB HD hardware had to retire at some point. I also lost the hostname after i graduated. But the 'spirit' still lived on. I had since named my office machine 'cliff'.

I first met B when he went back to high school to talk about life at MIT. It was a 'dream', at that time.

2 comments:

** 飛雪素素 ** said...

hey I was watching 愛情白皮書(石田光 version) again today.. Have you watched it? It gives that "dream" feeling of college life. The director used "soft lens" for the whole drama shooting to create the "dreaming" mood.

大學回憶中的情境有點迷蒙的感覺,就好像發了一場夢,片片段段的,時間好像停頓了一樣,從那裡開始又往那裡結束,回憶中好像沒有盡頭的夢。

Arael said...

不記得有沒有看過日劇。。。
不過肯定有看過漫畫。
只是,故事情節也都忘記了:P

很多場景還記得算清楚。中學時代才比較模糊。。