Saturday, May 26, 2007

my computers

I'm feeling nostalgic. So maybe I should try to list down those computers I've used or owned. I miss my computers!

An apple ][ clone: BASIC, call 151, ProDOS copy II plus. In particular, a key feature of ProDOS vs. DOS 3.3 was directory support. Obviously i didn't know why would'd need directories on those ~160K floppy disks.
XT
386SX: It was SX because it was a partial 32bit chip. Probably 32bit cpu, but 16bit bus.
386DX-66: Something like this. I didn't really use those machines that much, because I was in a different city.
For a year or so I actually didn't own or have access any personal computer. It's hard to imagine that now.
cliff.mit.edu: My first linux. Also the first one with a name.
westlake.mit.edu
quickstation.mit.edu: The hostname is a play on those public quickstations.
a celeron 300 overclocked to 450
unstable - my first dual cpu
heaven - this was another thinkpad i used at grad school
a 17in powerbook
greece: actually a buffalo file server.

Some other machines I also miss:
Those SGI's in W20. now I'm working on a campus where those machines were designed.
I also like the underground cluster near Hayden.
I wonder if I can still login as 'root' to those machines these days.

No comments: