Tuesday, January 30, 2007

pseudo sci-fi's

Many of my friends know that I dislike hollywood pseudo scifi's. Pseudo sci-fi's are those hollywood movies that claim to be sci-fis, with very few exceptions.

AI - This movie really has nothing to do with the field of "Artificial Intelligence"! It's just a simplistic fairy tale for adults (and kids). As you might have guessed, I like AI, and in particular, Strong AI. But this movie is just dumb. It's not really about AI, it's just about some 'dolls' that look and act like humans. I hope kids won't think AI is a dumb subject after watching this fairy tale movie.

I, Robot - Actually the movie itself is not too bad. But it's still not sci-fi. It'd be much much better if that robot-hating character (forgot his name already) turn out to be a robot himeself. (Thanks myrion, btw :)

Matrix - Matrix 1 is sci-fi. Matrix 2 is 20% sci-fi (the conversation with the architect on compiling, configurations, reboots etc), Matrix 3 is just an action flick (would have been better if computer won and reset the world...).

Okay, so I just checked the sci-fi ranking on imdb.com: http://www.imdb.com/chart/scifi .
They even put Alien and Terminator under sci-fi -_-.
And I also thought V for Vendetta, Spider Man, and King Kong are not sci-fi? (but I don't have plan to verify these any time soon).

No comments: